[Shorewall-devel] Development Release Support (Shorewall 2.1.*)

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Tue Sep 21 09:44:28 PDT 2004

As part of my effort to back away from the primary Shorewall support role, I
am going to change the way that Development releases are supported. It was my
hope that Development releases would be used primarily by people who need the
new functionality in those releases but I am seeing a small but steady stream
of posts on the Development list asking questions about initial installation
and configuration and about features that are available in earlier releases.

I'm going to ask two things:

a) If you are just getting your feet wet with Shorewall, *please* don't run
the development releases. Inexperienced users running unstable software makes
for real headaches when it comes to trying to diagnose problems.

b) If you are running a development release and have a problem with something
that is *not* unique to the development release, then please go ahead and
post on the user's list (shorewall-users at lists.shorewall.net). That way, we
can hopefully restrict the Development list to those problems that involve
the new code.

I appreciate your help in making this work and I apologize to those of you who
have received a "slap on the wrist" from me on the development list.

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net