[Shorewall-users] Debian pptpd

Charles J. Boening charlie@theboenings.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 07:02:19 -0700

You don't have to use encryption, but it's not a bad idea.

Make sure you have a rule like this:

ACCEPT   net   $FW   47
ACCEPT   net   $FW   tcp   1723

I think that's right.  The first one is to allow protocol 47 ... GRE
tunnel IIRC (probably wrong .. Been a while) and the second one, tcp
port 1723 is for making the actual connection.  The GRE protocol is
basically how the data is encapsulated.

I run PoPToP (pptpd) (http://www.poptop.org) on a Mandrak 8.2 system.
The only problem I have with XP clients is after disconnect, they have
to reboot to connect again.  Meanwhile, 9x/ME clients can disconnect and
reconnect all day long without rebooting.  It could be something with
the XP configuration, I haven't really looked into it yet.

Also, if you're not using encryption, make sure you turn on the "require
encryption" on you XP clients.  I believe you have to go into the
"advanced" settings in the security tab for the connection and turn
encryption off or make it optional.

Hope this helps.
Charlie