[Shorewall-users] Shorewall Vs Other Firewall Products

Francesca C Smith sysadmin@ladylinux.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:25:29 -0400

Hello,

Thank you very much for your kind words .. I am backed up as well as any
other consulting group ... And I am training the local staff on Shorewall
use et all ... I think one point is missing with the Big Vendors vs The Open
Source Camp. That is that Open Source People have a love for the intricacys
of the product while Big Vendors are more in line with Profit Margin. I do
for my customer with results and not pretty boxes and books. I ask what do
you need ?.. I find the right tool ... and I set it up ... (Yes I do get
paid for this of course) .. They say let me get you a quote for the product
and licenses and then we will find you a consultant.

Thank You,

Francesca C Smith
Lady Linux Internet Services
http://www.ladylinux.com
sysadmin@ladylinux.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Thad Marsh" <thad@marshtek.com>
To: "Rob B" <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>; "Francesca C Smith"
<sysadmin@ladylinux.com>
Cc: <shorewall-users@shorewall.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 7:07 AM
Subject: RE: [Shorewall-users] Shorewall Vs Other Firewall Products

> While studies are great and will certainly simplify the argument for those
less familiar with the product, it is often sufficient to just suggest that
you look at feature set.  I often come across the cult-like following of
some products only to find out the "white paper warriors" have taken little
time considering the individual qualification of the product their
supporting.

> I have not been a big fan of Linux in the past, but given the value and
the quality of development my mix of use has greatly changed.

> One consistent draw back in the open source land is the support and more
importantly the documentation.

> What your detractors may be saying is, look I have clear concise
documentation and 24-hour support does your product have this?
> In this case Tom does a pretty awesome job with support and documentation,
but to enterprises that may not be sufficient.  Now paid support is
available I'm sure!

> You also have to consider the chain of custody?
> While you might be here today you could be gone tomorrow, could your
client find the relevant support staff quickly and reasonable to come in and
support the product?
> You also bear responsibility to line up backup support here!
>
> Also they are making an assumption that just because it is a PIX,etc box
its installed properly.  How many studies have all of us read about the
number of improperly installed firewalls there are out there?  Knowing the
product and installing it properly is the key no matter which product you
are talking about!  I would not suggest attacking ones credentials only that
there are studies that improperly configured firewalls are out there and the
their product could be of the mix.

> I always hope that as a consultant the dialog is more of knowledge
exchanges, you know, hey take a look at this Shoreline config it does all
that this Cisco box does for a much greater value!  But unfortunately people
get very territorial, I guess that the fun of our job educating the cult!

> I realize that this by no means scientific, I just thought some of the
points might come in handy supporting Shorewall as the great product it is
until someone does a whit paper!  Sorry for the diatribe!