[Shorewall-users] Question about reaching my apache server

Anthony Kong ahwkong2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 08:22:26 PDT 2003

Hi, all,

OS version: redhat 9.0
Shorewall version: 1.4.1a

I am sorry that I haven't got anything similar in the
mailing list or FAQ, and could not figure out any
answer by reading the documentation. I am still a
newbie to shorewall.

I have set up a apache server in my firewall machine
(it is a very little home network). In the rules file,
I have defined the following rules:

ACCEPT      net     fw      tcp    443
ACCEPT      net     fw      tcp    80
REDIRECT    loc     3128    tcp    80
REDIRECT    wifi    3128    tcp    80

zone loc and wifi are my wired network and wireless
network at home respectively. I would the user form
outside be able to reach the apache server, while the
local users will use the squid transparently. However
after applying this rules, I cannot reach port 80 from
outside. No log is registered anywehere (not in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/squid/*) so I guess the
incoming packets are dropped silently.

However the https protocol can come in without issues.
It proves that the apache is working. And using
netstat -a --tcp  I can tell apache is listening to 80
as well.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Regards,

Anthony